Andy Seach of BarFlyUK (barflyuk.com) is a bespoke bartender. He creates the perfect drink for any occasion and can bring the whole bar too if you need him. Andy says “In my opinion, the ultimate manly summer cocktail is the Mint Julep. It dates all the way back to the 1800’s…a real classic made up of Bourbon, mint, sugar and Angostura Bitters. It originates from the Southern States of the USA and it’s particularly popular in Kentucky. It’s the perfect summer cooler, served over crushed ice in a silver cup to keep it perfectly cold.” Silver!? Well, Andy is a purist but you can buy stainless steel julep cups too. Kick back and savour old style refreshment and don’t forget to check out the MB special twist at the end. Andy says…
- To make the perfect Mint Julep, place 12 mint leaves in the bottom of a ‘Boston Shaker’. Gently muddle them to express the oils.
- Add 75ml of Bourbon (I’m a fan of Makers Mark in a Mint Julep but any good quality Bourbon will work)
- Add 17.5 ml of Sugar Syrup and 3 dashes of Angostura Bitters.
- Place this in the fridge for a few hours to really infuse the Bourbon with the mint. Once it’s perfectly chilled, add ice and shake before pouring it over crushed ice in a silver (steel) cup.
- Give it a good stir to dilute the ice slightly before topping up with a bit more crushed ice and giving it another stir.
- Once the cup is full, garnish with a mint sprig and enjoy!
- The MB twist: substitute half of the mint with basil or for the really adventurous, completely replace the mint with basil and use a lavender infused sugar syrup!!!
Thanks to Andy Seach barflyuk.com. MB is a big fan of drinking responsibly, no Juleps after driving!