At Barbertown Worcester, Jon Bourne and his team take care of A LOT of beards. So Jon wrote up this little summary to share with the beard growing masses and help their plumage look lustrous!
- When you first decide to grow a beard itís best not to shave the edge stubble at all and let it go feral.
- At 5 weeks, visit your barber! This is the point where you get your beard trimmed and shaped to your desired look. You might want a goatee, soul patch or strong moustached and sideburns but not all beards grow in the same direction and some are patchy so your barber should advise you accordingly.
- Revisit 4-5 weeks later to see how itís growing, as it might need shaping again. Regular trims help promote healthy growth and retain the shape.
- Ask your barber about beard oil to keep your beard hair soft and less coarse. I personally find oils great for shorter beards. Apply three or four drops to your palms, rub gently together and apply the oil where it is needed most, usually around the chin area.
- Use a wooden beard comb to comb beard oil through. The wooden comb will glide through your beard spreading the oil evenly. Any residue will get absorbed into the wooden teeth of the comb and over time just combing through your beard will be enough to help soften it. (Donít use a plastic comb as the oil just sits on the teeth.)
- As your beard lengthens you might want to move to a beard balm which is thicker than an oil but absorbs well. It also avoids over doing the oil as your beard lengthens and leaving your collar and tie greasy.
- Balms and oils also help you keep the skin under your beard well moisturised, as you donít want the dreaded Ďbeard dandruffí.
- Like all the hair on your body, your beard needs regular washing. A nice mild shampoo (nothing medicated or it will dry the beard out) and maybe a light condition once a week.
- There are lots of products on the market and your barber should advise you accordingly. Remember, beards arenít just fashionable at the moment, they are fashionable every momentÖremember Moses had a cracker!†
#StaySharp guys and visit yaí barber!