Northern Ireland barbershops and hair salons have received a reopening date from Northern Ireland First Minister Arlene Forster at a special sitting of the Northern Ireland Assembly, which took place on Thursday 15 April.
Northern Ireland is the last UK nation to receive a reopening date for barbers, hair salons, hairdressers and beauty therapists. (Wales reopened on Monday 15 March, Scotland hair salons reopened on Monday 5 April and England hair salons reopened on Monday 12 April.)
The First Minister described it as a landmark day and said: “We must also stress that while we are taking important decisions today, the virus is still with us. It is still dangerous and we cannot drop our guard. People are still being infected, hospitals are still receiving patients and unfortunately people are still at risk of serious illness and death. So we ask everyone to be mindful. Step out, but step carefully.”
When is the Northern Ireland Hair Barbershops Salons Reopening Date?
On Friday 23 April Northern Ireland hair salons, hairdressers, barbers and close contact services will be able to reopen. Other lockdown easing measures taking place on this date include outdoor visitor attractions reopening, competitive sports, outside band practice and driving lessons.
What does the Northern Ireland easing of lockdown plan look like?
Friday 23 April
- Hair salons, hairdressers, barbers and close contact services can reopen
- Outdoor visitor attractions can reopen
- Driving lessons and tests can resume
- Competitive sport can resume
- Static band practise outside can reopen
Friday 30 April
- Reopening of all retail
- Caravans and self-contained tourism can resume
- Unlicensed and licensed premises can reopen outdoors (with maximum of six people from two households)
- Gyms and swimming pools reopen
- 15 people from three households can meet in a garden
- No curfews for takeaways and off-licenses
Monday 24 May
- Indoor hospitality including pubs, restaurants and hotels reopen
- Tourist accommodation can reopen
- Indoor visits allowed in people’s houses
- Indoor attractions reopen
- Indoor group exercise can resume (depending on size of venue)